Balancing the Budget
The Cheshire West and Chester Budget Consultation is now closed.
Cheshire West & Chester Council is now formally deciding its budget priorities. The results of this consultation will be published in February 2018, and presented at the Budget Setting Council meeting in March 2018.
The £277.28m budget shown in our Budget Simulator is for the Council's current budget for 2017-2018. Using the budget for this financial year enables us to best show how the current budget is allocated.
1. Your challenge is to balance Cheshire West and Chester’s overall budget by £38.3million by setting your budget for services and raising fees, charges and Council Tax.
2. At the start you will be presented with a list of Council service areas. For each area you can choose to increase funding by 5% or 10%. You will also have the option to keep the funding at the same level, or decrease it by 10%, 20%, or 30%.
3. The consequences of each change in funding are displayed in summary or in detail when you press the ’more information’ button - this will help you make your decision. These consequences are designed to illustrate the potential impact of your changes to the budget.
4. In addition, you will see options for Income, Fees and Charges and Council Tax. By clicking on these, you can choose to increase specific income, fees and charges or Council Tax. The impact will be displayed in the consequence box.
5. As you make your decisions, you will see the total expenses and the budget gap at the top of the screen. This will show you how far away you are from balancing the budget. In order to ‘review and submit’ your budget you need to set a balanced budget.
6. There are other ways that you can let us know your views and comment, these can be found online at: www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/budget2017. This includes a copy of our Balancing the Budget Consultation Booklet, and more information for the online consultation event that is taking place on Wednesday 8 November.
7. You can email your views and opinions to the Council via the email address: Balancingthebudget@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk or tweet @Go_CheshireWest using the hashtag #cwacbudget.
8. You can write to us at: Balancing the Budget, Cheshire West and Chester Council, Council Offices, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE.
9. You can call us on: 0300 123 8 123 and to speak about ‘Balancing the Budget’.